Search This Blog

Easy Dessert Recipes

>> Sunday, June 12, 2011

I recently went to a picnic for my MOMS Club.  I had signed up to bring cookies, but the night before I wasn't feeling all that great (pregnancy related stuff, not a contagious type of sick) and didn't really want to stand around in the kitchen with the hot oven going taking cookies in and out.  So, I decided to find a cookie-bar recipe that would be easy but yet good for a picnic setting and with lots of kids.

I have an awesome book with easy recipes that I got years ago.  It's called "Kids Cake Mix Fun and More".


I chose 2 new recipes from it and was very happy with the results.  The first recipe I tried was the Granola Raisin Bars.  I figured that the adults might like these.  Also, it was really hot out the day we had the picnic, so I tried to choose recipes without chocolate!


Granola Raisin Bars - Makes approx. 15 bars

1 package yellow cake mix, divided
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted, divided
1 egg
4 cups granola with raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly spray 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.  Reserve 1/2 cup cake mix; set aside.
2.  Combine remaining cake mix, 4 T melted butter and egg in a large bowl. Stir until well blended.  Batter will be thick and sticky.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.  Use either plastic wrap or the wrapper from the butter to smooth out the batter in the pan.  Batter should be spread evenly.
3.  Bake cake mixture for 8 minutes.  Meanwhile, mix reserved 1/2 cup cake mix, 4 T melted butter and granola in a bowl until well blended.  Spread mixture over partially baked bars.
4.  Return pan to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Cut and enjoy.


The second recipe I made was the Mini Doughnut Cupcakes.  These were also very easy to make!


Mini Doughnut Cupcakes - makes 24 mini cupcakes

1 cup sugar
1.5 t cinnamon
1 package yellow or white cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1 T ground nutmeg

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour 24 mini cupcake pan cups.  Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
2.  Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box.  Add nutmeg to the mix and stir until combined.  Fill muffin cups 1/2 - 2/3 full.  
3.  Bake approx. 12 minutes or until lightly browned and the centers are set.
4.  Remove cupcakes from pan; roll immediately in the sugar & cinnamon mixture.  Repeat with 2nd pan.  Serve warm or cooled.  


Now, I completely forgot to take photos of the desserts prior to the picnic.  And the Mini Doughnut Cupcakes were a huge hit with the kids and were all gone!  The granola bars were also a hit, but there were a few left over, so I snapped a couple photos when I got home.  For the granola, I used about 2/3 of a  package of  Bear N*ked (R) organic granola with raisins that I found at Big Lots on clearance for around $2.50.

Yum!  And the best part?  They both had easy cleanup :)

Post a Comment