Search This Blog

Canvas Wall Hanging

>> Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I recently decided it was time for a slight change in decor for our living room.  I had made a lap quilt a long time ago and hung it on the wall above our love seat.  While I like the quilt and was proud of the fact that I made it, it was not quite the look I wanted for the room anymore.  I forgot to take a "before" photo of the quilt, but it was in the same spot as the canvas in the photo below.  

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something, but needed something substantial for the space.  Along came CraigsList!  I found this blank canvas with a frame for $20...right in my budget and perfect for the space!  I scoured the internet for some ideas of what I could do with it and decided to get some vinyl wall art and make an easy project.  I found a design that I liked in a size that would work on Etsy.com.  Here's a link to the Etsy.com listing.

I prepped the canvas by painting it with white latex paint.  This caused the canvas to "seize" up and become more of a solid surface for the vinyl to adhere to.


The next step was to unroll and cut out all the individual vinyl pieces.  Kelly (the etsy shop owner) included instructions on how to prep everything and even included a test decal to try out first (the fish at the bottom right corner of the photo below).


Once I had all the pieces cut out, I arranged them on the dried canvas.  I followed the layout guide first and then adjusted the pieces to fit my frame size.


Next, I just peeled off the backing to stick the pieces to the canvas, and then peeled off the top paper to reveal the design.


Here's the final canvas.  I ended up putting a layer of Mod Podge on top to seal everything up and make sure it wouldn't peel off over time.


Easy, cheap and I think it looks nice.


Post a Comment