Search This Blog

Baked Tomatoes, Squash, and Potatoes

>> Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I get several magazines in the mail.  All of them are free subscriptions that I find online or get for free because of my home-based business.  I actually don't have any that I pay for right now.  One of my favorite magazines (and one I will probably purchase when my free trial runs out) is Whole Living magazine.  It's a Martha Stewart publication, so of course it's good.

Last week I received the September 2011 issue and had a few recipes I wanted to try.  One of these recipes was Baked Tomatoes, Squash and Potatoes recipe found on page 66.  I couldn't find the recipe online yet (they must wait or maybe they don't post them online?), so I'll include the recipe and insert my comments as well...


Baked Tomatoes, Squash, and Potatoes
Serves 8

2 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 medium Yukon gold potato, sliced 1/4-inch thick
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 T fresh thyme leaves (I didn't have fresh, so I sprinkled some thyme powder)
2 T freshly grated Parmesean


1. Heat oven to 375. Heat oil over medium and cook onion until tender and lightly golden, 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Arrange the onion on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Overlap tomato, squash, and potato on top of the onion. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with thyme and Parmesean and drizzle with more oil.

3. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, 30 minutes more.


I pretty much followed the directions on this recipe except I used 3 potatoes.  The easiest way I found to layer the veggies was to make 4 piles, one of each veggie and then just take one from each pile and put it in the pan.

This recipe was good, but the only problem I found was that since you season the vegetables after you layer them, they were only half-way seasoned.  The part that was under the vegetable on top didn't have anything.  I think next time I make it, I will salt and pepper the veggies before layering them in the pan and then sprinkle the Parmesean over the top of everything.  Either that, or you can put salt and pepper on them after you serve it.

All in all, it's a great use of the seasonal vegetables right now and it's very yummy!  A recipe I will definitely make again!


Post a Comment