Search This Blog

Savannah style eating

>> Tuesday, August 16, 2011


Two months ago (wow, was it really that long?) my mom and I took a trip to Savannah.  It's a beautiful city.  I'd visited for just a day with my husband and wanted my mom to see it, and I also wanted some more time there myself!

We had a great time sightseeing and sampling the food.  One of my favorite things was taking a "Paula Deen" tour.  We visited some of Paula's favorite spots and learned all about her story.  I found it to be very inspirational.  Paula didn't even start her business until she was in her 40s, and when she began it was a bag lunch business on a shoe string budget.  She also seemed to be a person who treated all the "little people" well.  She remembered everyone who helped her along the way, which I think is so admirable.  (Actually, that's the way it should always be but seems to be the exception rather than the rule). 

But my favorite, favorite, favorite part was the food!!! We ate lunch at Paula's brother's restaurant, Uncle Bubba's Oyster House.  We also had dinner at The Lady and Sons, Paula's restaurant.  It was phenomenal.  All just really simple, home cooking.  But every single thing was delicious.  The dinner was a buffet, and I could hardly walk the few blocks back to our hotel because I couldn't stop eating!

Lots of Paula's recipes are online, at her website and/or the Food Network site.  I made her peach cobbler after we got back and it was great.  I have also been making some recipes from an autographed cookbook  my mom bought me on the trip, The Deen Bros Y'all Come Eat.  Both recipes were really, really good.  I think this is the best homemade coffee cake I've ever had.  And I love corn casserole and this one was really good. 


Blackberry Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping:

Topping:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 stick cold unsalted butter

Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1 and 1/2 cups frozen blackberries

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.  For the topping, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, and cinnamon.  Using a pasty cutter or fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the cake, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  In a large mixing bowl, mix cream the butter with a mixer on medium speed.  Add the sugar, beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Alternately beat in the flour mixture and the milk until just combined.
Spread the batter evenly in the pan.  Scatter the berries over the batter.  Sprinkle with streusel topping.  Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.


Fresh Corn Casserole with Green Onions

1 stick butter, melted
1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
1- 15oz can cream-style corn
1 cup sour cream
1 8 ounce package corn muffin mix
6 tablespoons freshly green onions
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter a 9 inch square baking pan and set aside.  In a large bowl, stir all ingredients together.  (I added about a cup of shredded cheddar too).  Pour batter into pan.  Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
*The consistency while hot will be much softer than shown in the picture.  I took this picture after the casserole had completely cooled.

Post a Comment