Search This Blog

The BEST Apple Cake

>> Tuesday, September 27, 2011


Normally, I would hesitate to call something "the best", especially a recipe.  I've seen in my family that one person can think something is amazing and the next can find it so-so (or sometimes even repulsive).  So to claim this is the best apple cake is a pretty strong statement, but I really think it is.  If you make this (as you should) and you don't like it, then get yourself to a doctor. :) 

And because I am a focus-on-the-positive kind of girl, it has lots of apples so it's healthy.  Period.  (We're going to ignore the sugar and butter right now).

The source for the recipe is Taste of Home magazine.  I've made it for years, but always thought it was so good plain that I'd never made the icing before.  Now I will never leave it off.  It takes the cake from really, really good to the best!

Chunky Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 cups peeled tart apples (I used granny smith)

In large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, butter and vanilla.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in apples until well combined.  Spread into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until top is slightly brown and springs back when touched. 

Icing:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Cook over medium heat in saucepan, stirring often.  Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 3-5 minutes.  Pour over the cake while it is still hot from the oven.  Let cool before serving.

A couple of notes-  the batter is very thick.  I use my kitchen-aid stand mixer to make it easier to mix.  The cake is very moist and it does not cut even because of all the apple chunks.  So you just have to abandon the idea of it looking perfect. 



Post a Comment