Search This Blog

Cinnamon Roll Muffins

>> Thursday, September 29, 2011


I've come to the conclusion that Beth and I like cinnamon.  The day she posted her "Muffins that Taste like Donuts" I had actually planned to post this muffin recipe.  In addition to these two, we have Beth's Easy No-Rise Cinnamon Rolls, her Mini Doughnut Cupcakes, (which I have made a few times and my sons LOVE), my Cinnamon Roll Waffles, and Beth's homemade churros.  Out of 35 recipes we've posted, 5 are cinnamony.  Due to that fact, I hesitated to post these, but decided that because they are a little different (not to mention really, really good), I'd go ahead.  I'm generous like that.  Unlike those people that you ask for a recipe and they give you the old "it's a family secret" line.  What's up with that?  Probably comes from a mix or something and they're too embarrassed to say.  And while I am on random thoughts, why is it ok to eat a muffin for breakfast, but not cake?  A muffin is basically cake, right?  So why is that ok?

Ok, moving on to the recipe! :)  This one comes from King Arthur.  There's a pocket of cinnamon filling inside the muffin, and the oats provide a great texture.  The only change I would make to the recipe is maybe making 13 muffins instead of 12 because if they are filled too full they overflow and become  a mess.  And I also baked these at 350, because I've learned that anything over 375 in my little apartment oven creates smoke and sets the detector off and results in great fun for my neighbors.  (And a nice little note from management).

Topping
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup diced pecans
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons soft butter
Filling
3 tablespoons butter (melted), 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Batter
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cinnamon chips or butterscotch chips (could leave these out)

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake papers, or grease it lightly.

Prepare the topping by mixing the ingredients together until crumbly. Set aside.

Prepare the filling by mixing the cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar together.  Add a small amount of water to make a very thick paste (maybe a tablespoon or so -- not too much!) Set it aside.

To make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, and eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the chips. Add the dry mixture to the liquid, stirring just until combined.

Divide half the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Dollop 2 teaspoons cinnamon filling onto each muffin, then top with the remaining batter. Sprinkle with topping, pressing it in lightly.

Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and wait 5 minutes before transferring them from the pan to a rack to cool. Yield: 12 muffins.


And as a follow-up to my apple cake post, I forgot to mention that I'd made the cake for Johnny Appleseed Day at my son's school.  Each student was to bring in something made with apples.  My son said the kids loved the cake, and there were a few pieces left over which the teacher announced she was taking home so his mom would have to make another cake.  If you are considering making it, do it!!! 


Post a Comment