Search This Blog

Homemade Laundry Detergent

>> Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Something totally unrelated to Christmas!! 

I found this recipe online a few months ago and decided to try it.  I love clean smells, like soap, rather than perfumy or floral smells.  This detergent smells lemony/soapy and I really like that about it.  It also cleans really well and it's very inexpensive.  The borax and washing soda were each between 3 and 4 dollars and will make several batches of detergent.  The bar is between 1 and 2 dollars and you use one per batch.  I haven't measured to see how many loads a batch does, but I would say it is similar to a regular sized bottle or box of detergent.

To make it, combine 1 cup each of the borax and the washing soda (both found near the laundry detergents, as is the bar of soap).  Grate the entire bar of soap (Fels-Naptha) with a cheese grater and combine with the other ingredients.  Store in a tub and use 1 tablespoon per load (sometimes I use 2).





Post a Comment