Search This Blog

Green Smoothie

>> Thursday, February 2, 2012

I saw that Beth had pinned a recipe for a green smoothie on Pinterest recently, and it reminded me that at one point I had taken a picture of one to share here.  Now I can't find the picture, so here is one I found online. 

IMG_6571-1.jpg

They are also called Green Monster smoothies.  You can find all kinds of recipes online.  It's basically a fruit smoothie with spinach that gives it a green color.  Some people use kale, which I haven't tried yet.  When it is blended, you can't even taste the spinach.  This is my basic recipe, but there are so many variations.  I use about 1/2 a cup of coconut milk, half a frozen banana (I think the banana is key.  The natural sweetness really covers up any spinach that you could taste and freezing it gives the smoothie a great, creamy consistency), a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter.  Then I fill the rest of my magic bullet cup up with spinach (maybe a cup or so) and blend.  Add ice cubes and/or more milk as needed to get the right consistency.  You could add in so many other things to increase the nutritional value -- chia seeds, flax seed, etc.  You could also change the fruits and maybe add another veggie that blends well.  But start with one containing banana.  I usually try to keep the caloric content of mine under 300, so that kind of determines what I put in it.  Try it and tell me what you think.  Also share any recipes you come up with here or on the facebook page.

Post a Comment