Search This Blog

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

>> Monday, August 8, 2011

As soon as I saw this recipe on the Bake at 350 blog, I knew I had to make it!  Unlike Lesley, I tend to lean towards making the recipes that are totally not healthy.  Which could be why she is skinny and I am not. ;)

Anyway, my sisters bought me a Cuisinart ice cream maker for my birthday last year.  It came with a recipe book and I've tried several of the recipes, but this Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream has been the best recipe yet!  She adapted it from Ben & Jerry's recipe book, so no wonder it's good.


I followed the recipe just making one minor change.  Instead of adding the peanut butter just before putting it in the ice cream maker, I added it while the ingredients were warm.  I found that it really mixed into the chocolate easily and I don't think it affected the flavor. Here's the recipe the way I did it:

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream 

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate ( I used Baker's brand)
1/3 cup dutch-process cocoa powder (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
1 & 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (I used Skippy's Roasted Honey Nut)

Place a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering (not boiling) water.  Melt the unsweetened chocolate. Gradually add the cocoa; the mixture will clump up in the whisk.  Slowly pour in the milk, whisking with the chocolate mixture until combined and smooth.  Remove from heat and let cool several minutes.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Add the sugar, a little at a time, whisking constantly.  Once all the sugar has been added, whisk 1 minute more.

Add the cream and vanilla; whisk to combine.
Add the peanut butter to the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.  

Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and stir.  Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.  After chilling, process in an ice cream maker.  Once the freezing cycle finishes, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze a few hours to firm up.

Yum!

Post a Comment